The Need To Write

I need to be writing. Writing is good for my soul because I connect to that creative part of me that needs to find expression. When I write out of my love for God and for humanity, I sometimes get in touch with that spiritual sphere in me, out of which God moves and speaks. So writing is both a creative act, that connects me to creator's character within, and and act of love and service to God and to my fellow travelers.

I am a very task focused man, sometimes to the exclusion of everything and everyone else. What's great about being task-focused is that I can zone in on the task at hand with a laser sharp focus and be very productive.  I can block out the rest of the world and really get after what I need to get after. Being a bit of a procrastinator, there's nothing like a deadline to motivate that task-focused side of me. (grin)  The dark side of being task-focused is that I can be blind to other needs. Other people have needs. A good servant should be sensitive and listen for what other people need.  That part of me has to be turned back on, when I'm tasking. The other bit I am aware of when tasking is that I have a tendency to get amped up!  I get a bit anxious about getting done what I am setting out to do. With this anxt pushing me, I can be competitive and even pushy.

I need to be writing, because writing tends to slow my mind down, and my anxiety fades to a more peaceful posture.  Writing is self-reflection. It can be simply passing on information, but for me writing is a means to visit with myself, and to meet with God.  For the Lord is with me in my innermost thoughts. When I write, God tends to reveal things about me, life, the world, etc. And I find a new compass heading sometimes! So I need to be writing, to slow down, breathe. and listen for God's voice.

So this is me, writing, slowing the rhythm of my brain and breath and leaning into my inner world with God at my side. What will I write about? Whatever comes to mind, I suppose. These are musings of a middle-aged Midwestern Methodist minister. How's that for alliteration? (grin) These musings are with God and for my own self-discovery and growth. They are also for those who might like to listen in on my conversations with God. I need to be writing and today I make it a public declaration. I will be writing.

As The afternoon comes to a close, I feel led to visit a homebound member. Having slowed my mind through writing, I hope I can be sensitive to her needs. 

God, grant me Your grace to listen with both head and heart. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roll It Away (Joshua 5:9-12)

#24 Top 40 New Testament Passages: The Great Commandment (Matthew 22:35-40)

Judge for Yourself (Luke 12:48-59)