#35 Top 40 New Testament Passages: I Can Do All Things (Philippians 4:13)

I can do all things through him who strengthens me. 
(Philippians 4:13)

This verse is a popular one for many who have committed the words to memory. It's a mantra to whisper to your heart when facing any number of challenges. When I'm on the elliptic machine and wanting to quit, I whisper the words and push myself, leaning into the Spirit of the Lord. When I'm facing a difficult situation in life, I remember not to get anxious, but to trust in the Lord's ability to empower and provide. The so-called power verse makes just about any list of favorite verses to encourage a believer. 

Of course when the Apostle Paul wrote the words he never thought the Church centuries later would be putting it on memes to encourage others in social media. 


Paul wrote these words in his letter to a congregation in Philippi. The church was one of Paul's beloved congregations which he started. It's considered to be the first church in Europe. The congregation was going through some difficulty, but mostly the letter is upbeat, so much so that it has been called the epistle of joy. 

Paul writes at a time he is in prison in Rome. (Philippians 1:7; 4:22) Evidently the Philippians sent him provisions while incarcerated by one of their own, Epaphroditus. Paul writes to the Philippians in thanks for their gift, but as a good mentor he writes many exhortations to encourage their growth in Christ. 

And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you to determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:9-11)

Paul acknowledges the persecutions the Philippians are facing. Early Christians were persecuted by synagogues as heretics, and by pagans as a strange sect proclaiming strange gods. (Acts 17:18-20) 

Only, live your life in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that, whether I come and see you or am absent and hear about you, I will know that you are standing firm in one spirit, striving side by side with one mind for the faith of the gospel, and are in no way intimidated by your opponents. (Philippians 1:27-28a)

There was some kind of disagreement going on in the fellowship among the Philippians, but this is a minor issue only mentioned in passing. Yet Paul calls for unity in a number of places, like teh verses cited above.

If then there is any encouragement in Christ, any consolation from love, any sharing in the Spirit, any compassion and sympathy, make my joy complete: be of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. (Philippians 2:1-2)

After reminding the Philippians of their vocation to work out their salvation and grow in Christ, joining Paul in striving heavenward for the glory of resurrection, he tells them to rejoice always and pray, keep their focus on the praiseworthy, and follow his example. (Philippians 2:12-13; 3:10-21; 4:4-9) 

Finally Paul wraps up his correspondence in gratitude for the Philippians support. And this is the context in which the Top 40 verse appears. (Philippians 4:13)

I rejoice in the Lord greatly that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned for me, but had no opportunity to show it. Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. In any case, it was kind of you to share my distress. (Philippians 4:10-14)

Paul's claim that he can do all things through him who gives strength, comes from his own experience. As an apostle for Christ on the road proclaiming the good news from town to town and in foreign lands, Paul has faced many distressing situations. And God has proven to be faithful through them all. 

Look at Paul's list of sufferings on behalf of the gospel as he defends his ministry to the church in Corinth. 

...with far greater labors, far more imprisonments, with countless floggings, and often near death. Five times I have received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I received a stoning. Three times I was shipwrecked; for a night and a day I was adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from bandits, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers and sisters; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, hungry and thirsty, often without food, cold and naked. And, besides other things, I am under daily pressure because of my anxiety for all the churches. (2nd Corinthians 11:23-28)

Yes, Paul knows that through it all God can be counted on. He has learned the secret of contentment by trusting in God to give him what is needed. Paul has suffered greatly. This life we are called to doesn't mean an easy road. It's a narrow gate that leads to life. If you want the easy road, just follow everyone else. It's a wide highway to hell. But when you suffer for the sake of the gospel you find the miracle of God's faithfulness through all things and in all things, so that you can endure all things.

Far from Paul saying we can fly like a bird if we just believe hard enough in God, or that we might breathe underwater if we just draw upon Christ's strength, Paul is sharing that he has learned that God will always be faithful to him no matter what he may face, whether times of plenty or times of want. And he would desire for all who trust in Christ to learn of the same sure faithfulness. 

So say the words with me:

In times aplenty, in times of want, I know the secret of contentment. God is ever faithful!
I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roll It Away (Joshua 5:9-12)

#24 Top 40 New Testament Passages: The Great Commandment (Matthew 22:35-40)

Judge for Yourself (Luke 12:48-59)