Our Mission: Voice of Hope (Romans 8:18-25)

 Sermon for Centenary and Milledgeville UMC

[Slide] Our Mission: Voice of Hope (Romans 8:18-25)

 

I heard my daughter say, "I hope you're going to shave off that mustache before the holiday, it's embarrassing."

 

“I was shocked! That's the bravest thing anyone has ever said........

TO MY WIFE!!!!”

 

I beat my friend in a game of poker. He threw down his cards and yelled, "I hope you die in a deep hole filled with water".

It’s ok, I know he means well.

 

Hope keeps cropping up between the cracks in the road of life 

We are talking about hope this morning. Our mission is to be a voice of hope to the world.

 

We hope in the love of God and the faithfulness of Jesus. We hope in new creation, the Holy Spirit and amazing grace. The gospel shapes the world in hope. It encapsulates all of human history. Jesus is the alpha and omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. He bookends the entire story of humanity. All creation was made through Him and for Him. His death and resurrection is the beginning of a new creation. The old broken, sin-corrupted world is giving way to a new world where there will be no more war, pain, suffering and disease. God will wipe away every tear. Joy and peace will prevail.

 

[Slide] According to a recent article in Popular Mechanics, a molecular biologist predicts that, through genetic manipulation, humans will be able to live for 200 years. Can you imagine living 2 centuries? Would you want to? Let’s be honest. All the pie in the sky talk of a hopeful future seems naïve in the face of all that’s wrong with the world. I will admit to despair rather than hope. Many times in recent years I have grumbled, “Get me off of this rock!” I will admit to giving up on the world, rather than fight the good fight. I will admit to keeping my head down and trying not to make waves. Like so many others, I am just doing my time the best way I can.

[Slide] We’re all prisoners here on planet earth. But we long to be set free from this broken world. The older I get, the more I feel the pull toward the promise of heaven. The more my body reminds me that I’m not a 20 anymore, the more I long for a new eternal body. It’s an escapist posture, perhaps. But it is what we hope for. Paul says that all creation groans for redemption as we wait for new creation to come in all its fullness.

 

I don’t think I’m alone in this. Most of us are just trying to get through this life as comfortably as possible. We would rather keep quiet than risk resistance or hostility by sharing our hope in Christ. How are we going to become a voice of hope to the world if we don’t get past our fear?

 

I have thoughts. [Slide]

 

·       Becoming a voice of hope means knowing what you hope for.

 

Hope is a destination, a targeted future. Romans 8:29 names our destiny.

 

[Slide] We are predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son.

 

Hope leads us to our destiny to become like Christ.

 

[Slide] Three things I hope for: Everlasting Life, Transformation, and The Kingdom Come.

 

I have a living hope, not just wishing, but a real and lasting hope that I will live forever in God. When I draw my last breath in this body, God promises me a new body. I believe in the life everlasting. Amen!

 

[Slide] We quoted Richard Foster before.

"The goal of the Christian life is not simply to get us into heaven, but to get heaven into us!" I hope for my transformation. Christ will transform my heart and life.

I have a very real hope that Jesus will transform me day by day to become like Him. I hope that I will love like Jesus, talk like him and behave like him. I hope others will experience Jesus in me.

 

[Slide] Thirdly, I hope for the transformation of the entire world. I hope that every heart will know the love of Christ. I hope that every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. I hope for the redemption of all creation by the power of our creator.

 

[Slide] I know it sounds like a fairy tale. Considering how bad the world seems now, hope sounds like fantasy. If it’s left up to humanity, then yes… I am a fool to hope. But it’s not up to us alone. God has promised that this current broken, sin-corrupted world will give way to a new heaven and earth. Becoming a voice of hope means knowing what you hope for. God will redeem all creation. The Kingdom will come where God’s will is done. [Slide]

 

·       Becoming a voice of hope means living by the Spirit.

 

Living by the Spirit, we will reach your destiny to become like Christ.

 

[Slide] Becoming like Christ seems an impossible goal. We might lose hope that we could ever attain His pure, sinless life. Paul reminds us that it’s not simply our effort. Our transformation belongs to God. God will do just as God promised.

 

[Slide] I am confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:6)

 

Our transformation is not based on our efforts alone. It is ultimately in God’s hands. Can anything stop God from completing his good work in our lives? We can turn away from God toward worldly influences, but God’s grace is powerful; some say irresistible.

[Slide] He comes searching for His lost sheep to bring them back home. We may stray, but the Good Shepherd will seek us. Just like God called to Adam in garden when he was trying to hide, Jesus will call us, find us, and bring us home rejoicing.

 

Paul makes a very important statement near the beginning of Romans 8. He makes a distinction between living under the influence of our flesh and living under the influence of the Spirit.

 

[Slide] You are not in the flesh but are in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. (Romans 8:9)

 

How do we know if the Spirit lives in us? When Jesus ascended to heaven, His Spirit was poured out upon all flesh. Grace is always working on us, calling us into relationship with God. But! There’s always a but, right? [Slide] But we must invite Jesus into our hearts. We must surrender control to Him. We must cooperate with the Spirit and ignore the sinful and selfish desires of our flesh. That takes practice. I’m still learning how.

 

[Slide] I posted Romans 8:5 this week. I’ve been thinking about it a lot.

 

Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. (Romans 8:5)

 

A pastor friend commented, “Living by the flesh is easy. Living by the Spirit is challenging.” It is challenging, but it’s not impossible. With God all things are possible.

 

I had a come to Jesus moment this week. I went to the doctor and [Slide] my weight is the highest it’s ever been. Please forgive me, but I’m going to say two bad words: diet and exercise. I have to make changes.

 

My brother died at 69 from obesity. My father died at 73 from cancer. My eating habits are governed by my flesh. A mind set on the flesh is death. I’m on the road to an early grave. I eat for comfort, not fuel. To change, I need to turn to the Lord for comfort. Here’s what is helping me make lifestyle changes.

 

[Slide] The mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. (Romans 8:6) That’s what I need! Living in the Spirit is like a foretaste of heaven. The Spirit is a downpayment on your eternal home. The Spirit keeps us tethered to our heavenly home.

 

[Slide] The author of Hebrews says,

 

We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where our forerunner, Jesus, has entered on our behalf. (Hebrews 6:19-20)

 

Hope is an anchor. [Slide] An anchor keeps a ship tethered to the earth. Storms can throw a ship off course and into danger. Anchors drag the bottom, slow speed, and keep a ship from crashing in shallow waters.

 

Hope keeps you grounded. Hope can keep us from straying into danger. Our hope in Christ keeps us anchored to heaven. Hope keeps our hearts and minds heading for our eternal destiny. When others lose their composure, hope keeps us level-headed and at peace. [Slide] Hope reminds us Who reigns above and in our hearts. Becoming a voice of hope means living by the Spirit. [Slide]

 

·       Becoming a voice of hope begins with hope in you.

 

Our mission is to be a voice of hope to the world. That means keeping hope alive. Because you cannot share what you do not have.

 

Hope is a rebellious act. Hope refuses to keep its mouth shut. Hope refuses to lie down and die.

Like a resilient wildflower, hope keeps cropping up between the cracks in the road of life. Hope keeps reminding us that there is more good in the world than we appreciate. There are great things coming that are beyond our comprehension. Hope stands courageously in the gap between what is and what will be. Hope is how God holds us together.

 


 

[Slide] On the eve of the 15th anniversary of 9/11, Miles Patrick Yohnke wrote a poem entitled,

 

A Silent Yearning

I long for,
Absence from war,
Absence from hate,
That both joy and love,
Shall rule all lands.

I long for us to all unite,
Unite as one,
As one soul community.

I write for peace,
A peace within,
Within us.
I write for love,
Love amongst and within us all.

I long for all peoples,
To see crystal clear,
A great leap forward,
With the strongest, highest morals,

Striving all for peace,
Rejecting anything less,
How often I wish,
How often I pray.

A quality of tenderness,
A quality of peace,
A quality of love,
A quality of us,
Us to be,
To be,
One.

This vision I see,

This vision of no division,
This vision is possible:
Peace is possible.

And yet still I silently pray.



the whole creation groans and suffers together until now. (Romans 8:22)

Redemption, freedom from this broken world is in us! 


[Slide] Becoming a voice of hope begins with you.

 

There is a lot of despair and hopelessness in our world. Speak hope into the lives of your neighbors. When you hear someone bemoaning the latest bad news, listen. Give them the gift of an empathetic ear. But tell them why you have hope. Let others hear of your hope in God’s promises. Christ will give you the words.

 

Be the voice of hope in this hopeless and hurting world.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journey to Promise: Bread of Heaven (Exodus 16:1-12)

Journey to Promise: The Covenant (Exodus 19:1-6, 16-19; 20:1-21)

Journey to Promise: The Call (Exodus 3:1-14)